Friday, June 24, 2005

Dick Chaney and Dr. Strangelove

It wasn't until last night, while watching Wolf Blitzer's interview with Dick Chaney, that it dawned on me what the Bush Administration reminded me of--Dr. Strangelove. Dick Chaney's furtive eye movements, hunched over look, his ramblings using frequent unwarranted extrapolations to justify the administrations goals and actions reminded me of the characters and actions of those in the movie Dr. Strangelove. I kept expecting to see Chaney's hand attack his throat at any time, or start rambling about the terrorists trying to pollute "precious body fluids". Chaney too reminded me, in looks, of President Merkin Muffley.
Chaney's remblings about our winning the war in Iraq reminded me of the same arguments I heard the Johnson administration make. Yes we can "win"; if we want to spend 10 years, a trillion dollars, and who knows how many casualties--but we still wouldn't "win"--if that makes any sense, and it doesn't, and our argument about winning doesn't make sense either. The administration will end up doing what Nixon did, declare some sort of victory, truce, rationale, and then depart. The real point is we have already "won", we deposed Saddam, destroyed non-existent WMDs, kept the terrorists from fighting in our streets, and saved our "precious fluids" from being polluted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home